“And I learned there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I’ve brought a big bat. And I am all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”
– Dr. Seuss, I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew
Sharon Bryant, MA, LMFT, RPT
I love to come alongside people in their journey. As I reflect on my own life, I am grateful for the many people who have been influential in shaping who I have become by offering support during times of struggle and celebrating victories. I have been fortunate to receive education and training that has prepared me to partner with individuals and families in fostering relational health and growth.
I consider it a tremendous privilege to serve children and families by encouraging their growth while helping them overcome difficulties and develop resiliency. I thoroughly enjoy utilizing experiential activities in the therapy process to empower parents and help children overcome both the daily challenges of life and the major obstacles they may face. I also use experiential activities with adults and couples to help them express aspects of life when words can be limiting.
Who I Serve
Throughout my time as a therapist I have worked with children and adolescents from 15 months old to age 18, as well as individual adults and couples of varying ages. My work is focused on age appropriate experiential activities that provide holistic change at varying life stages.
I specifically have a passion for helping children and adolescents overcome difficulties in a way that will produce lasting change in their life. I enjoy supporting and empowering parents through the wild ride of parenting with all its overwhelming challenges and abounding joys. I also take delight in helping couples face difficulties in a way that strengthens their relationship. And it is a privilege to walk beside individuals as they seek to understand their story and pursue growth.
Treatment Areas and Competencies
- Aggressive behavioral problems and anger management
- Emotional regulation
- Low self-esteem
- Low locus of control or low self-efficacy
- Sensory integration (in partnership with an Occupational Therapist)
- Attachment and bonding
- Grief and loss
- Anxiety and Depression
- Chronic illness
- Separation Anxiety
- ADHD, ADD, ODD
- Social skills, healthy boundaries, and bullying
- High-functioning Autism
- Transitions, stress and coping skills
- Adoption and foster care (parents and children)
- Miscarriage and infertility
- Post-Partum Depression
- Spiritual related struggles
- Compassion fatigue and burnout
- Communication skills
- Blended families
- Family cohesiveness
- High-conflict families
- Teens who are pregnant/parenting
- Couples in conflict or grief
- Parenting groups
- Grief groups
- Life skills and resiliency groups
I believe each person’s story is sacred and that transformation happens within the context of relationship. I seek to create a client-centered environment where people feel comfortable to heal or grow at their pace in a way that fits their specific needs. It is my hope to empower individuals to embrace healing in order to live life to the fullest. Specifically, with children, adolescents, and families, I focus on age-appropriate activities designed to holistically help each person overcome difficulties, develop resiliency, and cultivate strengths for lasting change.
I rely heavily on Attachment Theory, Systems Theory, Narrative, and Strength-based approaches. As a Prescriptive therapist I use a variety of experiential methods and seek to tailor activities to the needs and interests of each individual and unique family. This includes Child-Centered Play Therapy, Filial Therapy, Sandtray, Art Therapy, Relationship Enhancement Therapy, Skill-based psychoeducation, Bibliotherapy, Play-based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Exposure Therapy, Adult Play Therapy, and various other experiential activities.
I have had the opportunity to serve children, adolescents, families, individuals, and couples both in a private practice and in a nonprofit setting since completing my masters degree from Asbury University in 2012. I have also led groups at the office and in schools, shelters, jails, and teen pregnancy centers.
I have had the privilege to speak at a national play therapy conference and in community settings. I have also been given the honor to teach undergraduate courses as an adjunct professor. As a Special Events Coordinator at a nonprofit counseling agency, I enjoyed planning and implementing marriage enrichment classes and retreats as well as overseeing interns both in school-based settings and in providing life skills groups at a local detention center.
Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in the state of Illinois
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in the state of Kentucky
- Registered Play Therapist National Certification (RPT) from the Association for Play Therapy (APT)
- Certified in Child-Centered Play Therapy from National Institute for Relationship Enhancement (NIRE)
- Certified in Filial Therapy from the National Institute for Relationship Enhancement (NIRE)
- Certified as a Program Leader for Relationship Enhancement Marriage Enrichment from the National Institute for Relationship Enhancement (NIRE)
- Certified Prepare/Enrich Facilitator from Prepare/Enrich
- BA in Psychology from Asbury University in Wilmore, KY
- MA in Marriage and Family Therapy from Asbury Theological Seminary in Wilmore, KY
- Additional training in Play Therapy and Relationship Enhancement Methods
Affiliations and Memberships
- APT: Association for Play Therapy
- ILAPT: Illinois Association for Play Therapy
- KYAPT: Kentucky Association for Play Therapy
- NIRE: National Institute for Relationship Enhancement (Current Board Member)
Call today for a FREE consultation
Finding the right therapist for yourself or a loved one can be challenging. “Does the therapist have the expertise to address the problem? Will I feel comfortable with the therapist?” I invite any questions that may help you in your search. Let’s see if we’re a fit!